Split pea soup
King winter is starting to leave us here in Belgium, that's why I once again made a real meal soup.
This pea soup is an indispensable part of our wintertime and everyone has their own recipe. I made this soup with the recipe that has always been taught to me and I now want to share this with you.
- 500g split peas
- 300g bacon cubes
- 2l of water
- 1 white onion
- 1 leek
- 1/2 celeriac
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 smoked sausage
- A Dutch oven
1. Prepare a BBQ for immediate grilling at 200 ° C. You do this by spreading your coals over the entire width of the BBQ.
2. Cut the carrots into thin slices and put them in a bowl. Then peel the celeriac and cut it into small cubes, put them at the root.
Rinse the leeks and cut them into 4 pieces.
3. When your BBQ is up to temperature, place the vegetables on a vegetable grid and grill them over the coals for about 5 minutes. This will discolor the vegetables and give your soup a delicious grill flavor.
4. When the vegetables are off your BBQ, put a Dutch oven with 2 liters of water on your grid. Add the split peas and bay leaf. Cook lightly for 1 hour.
When you notice that your water is starting to boil too hard, close the sliders of your BBQ a little more, this will lower the temperature.
5. While the peas are cooking, finely chop the onion. Place them with the grilled vegetables.
Chop the grilled leek very finely and add them to the rest of the vegetables.
6. After an hour the peas are nicely dissolved, add the grilled vegetables and bacon cubes to the soup and let it cook for another half hour.
7. Meanwhile cut the smoked sausage into cubes.
8. When the soup with vegetables has cooked for 20 minutes, add the cubes of meat. Cook for another 10 minutes.