Nowadays this dish is real hype in the BBQ community. You would think: that combination can't be tasty, can it? To be honest, I thought that at first, then I started thinking. Sweet yet savory, how wrong can it be? I've put it to the test and I have to say: I love them!
- 1 pack of Oreos
- 14 slices of bacon, smoked
- Your favorite BBQ rub
- A piece of smoking wood, I used plum wood myself
1. Prepare a BBQ for smoking at 170°C. With a bullet BBQ you put the coals on one side of the grid and leave the other side empty.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle the bacon slices with your favorite rub. A sweeter rub goes best with this dish.
3. Wrap the bacon around the oreo cookies.
4. Place the biscuits on the indirect side of the BBQ and smoke until the bacon is cooked through. This should take about half an hour.
5. The cookies are nice when they are still warm but I like them even better when they have cooled down for a while. That way, the smoked comes out more.
TIP: You can also use this recipe with American cookies or any other cookie, as long as there is no chocolate around.
I also tried this recipe with Twix cookies from an English shop here in Belgium. This was very tasty too!