Spareribs, a real classic in the BBQ landscape. Usually ribs are cooked on the 3-2-1 method. This means that we smoke them for 3 hours, let them cook for 2 hours wrapped and finish / coat them for 1 hour. However, this takes far too long for our small spare ribs. That is why I choose the 2.5-1.5-0.5 method. This one goes a bit faster and our ribs are just as tasty!
- Spareribs (1 or 2 ribs per person)
- Aluminium foil
- 1 tablespoon of paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- ½ tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
- BBQ fries
Avondeten, Kogel BBQ, Offset Smoker, Spareribs
1. Remove the fleece from the ribs. Use a butter knife for this. Stick it between a bone and the fleece and use a paper towel to pull it off.
Pat the ribs dry with paper towel.
2. Coat the ribs with the BBQ Rub (dry spice mix) and let it rest for at least 2 hours.
3. Prepare your BBQ for indirect smoking at 130 ° C. Place a few pieces of smoking wood on top of the coals.
I usually use the snake method with a bullet BBQ.
4. Place the ribs flesh side down and let them smoke for about 2 hours.
5. Remove the ribs from the BBQ after 2 hours. Wrap them with some brown sugar and butter. The ribs will now slowly cook in their own moisture. This preserves the flavor of the meat and makes them deliciously tender. Leave the ribs covered for at least 1.5 hours.
6. After 1.5 hours of cooking, remove the foil from the ribs. The ribs are still with the convex side down. You will notice that the bones are protruding from the meat.
7. Coat the hollow side (bottom) of the ribs with the glaze and leave it for 10 minutes.
8. Turn the ribs over with the convex side up and cover with the glaze. After 20 minutes the ribs are ready.
TIP: You can repeat the last action several times to get a thicker layer of sauce on your ribs. The more sauce, the sweeter the spare ribs become. It is also possible to add smoking wood while grilling to give the ribs an extra smoky flavor.