Turkey skewers with grilled celeriac
After reading Lennox Hastie's book I got inspired. Why not grill some celeriac and spring onion? Celeriac I knew more from purees or fries, but I have never put them on the BBQ in full slices.
In this recipe I combine a turkey fillet with celeriac and grilled spring onions. The result is a beautifully balanced dish with a lot of flavor.
- 1 turkey tenderloin
- ½ celeriac
- 4 spring onions
- Olive oil
- A number of skewers
- your favorite BBQ rub
Dinner, Kogel BBQ, Turkey, Celeriac, Knolselder, Kalkoen
1. Prepare a BBQ for grilling with 2 zones at about 200°C. You do this by filling 1 side of your BBQ with coal and leaving the other side empty.
2. Cut the celeriac into slices about 5mm thick.
Drizzle with some olive oil.
3. Cut the turkey fillet into cubes about 2cm wide.
Season with your favorite BBQ rub, I used Braairub nr4 from De Fik Erin myself. I have used this before with potatoes, but this rub also goes well with turkey.
4. Skewer the turkey cubes onto the skewers. Preferably use flat sticks, these ensure that your meat does not turn when you turn your satay. I didn't have any flat sticks available myself, so I used 2 round sticks next to each other, which gives the same effect.
5. When the BBQ is at the right temperature, place the sticks directly above the coals.
Grill them for about 2 minutes per side and then move them to the indirect side.
6. When the sticks are on the indirect zone, place the celeriac slices directly above the cabbages.
Grill them for 2 minutes per side until they have nice grill lines and are slightly seared.
Move them to the indirect zone to keep warm.
7. When all the celeriac slices have been grilled, place the spring onions directly above the cabbages.
Grill for about 1 minute per side until nicely seared.
Place them on the indirect side to continue cooking.
8. When the turkey has a core temperature of about 70°C, they are ready.
Remove them from the BBQ and dress your plate. First put the celeriac on your plate and put the skewers on it. Place the spring onions around the skewers.
Tip: You can also brighten up the whole by serving it with a sauce. I myself would opt for a sauce based on cherries, which combines great with the turkey.